Rogers Cup presented by National Bank, which takes place August 4-12 at the Aviva Centre, is confirmed to feature World No. 1 Rafael Nadal and Wimbledon champion Novak Djokovic as part of 19 of the Top 20 players in the world. “I have happy memories from winning the title in Toronto in 2016 and it’s always a highlight on my calendar,” said Djokovic. “The tournament looks after us so well and the fans are always passionate about their tennis. After a dream run at Wimbledon, I’m really motivated going into the hard-court season so I look forward to defending my Toronto title.”
Tournament director Karl Hale confirmed that World No.1 and three-time Rogers Cup champion Rafael Nadal will play his first match in Toronto on Wednesday night (August 8), with Canadian No.1 Denis Shapovalov scheduled to play in the Tuesday night session (August 7). “I’m really looking forward to being back in Toronto this summer,” said Nadal. “I always love playing in Canada and I hope to see the fans out in force for my first match on Wednesday night.”
Jeremy Chardy of France will take Federer’s place in the main draw. Former World No.1 and three-time Rogers Cup champion Andy Murray, who is working his way back from a long-term hip injury, has received a wild card into the tournament. Murray will return to Toronto for the first time since 2014, with the remaining wild card recipients to be announced in due course.
“We are excited to have nine of the top 10 on the ATP World Tour at the Rogers Cup, but it’s unfortunate that we won’t have Roger in Toronto this summer,” said Hale. “With current world No. 1 Rafael Nadal, Wimbledon champion Novak Djokovic plus Toronto’s hometown heroes in Milos and Denis legitimate title threats, this year’s entry list is one of the most exciting in recent memory. With the improvements we have made around the site and the festival of events we have planned, fans are in for a real treat.”
“I’m so disappointed not to play at the Rogers Cup this summer,” said Roger Federer, who will not be participating in the 2018 tournament as announced by Hale today. “I had a fantastic time in Montreal last year and always enjoy playing in front of the Canadian fans, but unfortunately with scheduling being the key to my longevity moving forward, I have regrettably decided to withdraw from Toronto this year. I wish the tournament every success and am sorry to miss it.”
The official draw ceremony for the 56-player field will take place in downtown Toronto on the afternoon of August 3. In a historic first, the Toronto subway (TTC) will now bring tennis fans directly from downtown Toronto to the Rogers Cup. With the extension of Line One, Pioneer Village Station is a five-minute walk from the stadium, making it easier than ever for fans to reach the Aviva Centre.
Daniel Nestor, the legendary Canadian doubles player who will play in his 30th and final Rogers Cup this summer, will be honoured in a two-part celebration at Roy Thomson Hall on Sunday, August 5. A host of current and former ATP players, including Murray and Shapovalov, will take part in a roast led by Shaun Majumder, followed by Nestor’s emotional induction into the Canadian Tennis Hall of Fame. For ticket information please call 416-872-4255 or visit www.roythomsonhall.com/tickets/DanielNestor.
For Rogers Cup tickets and additional information, please visit rogerscup.com or call 1 877 283-6647. The first 5,000 fans through the gate for the night session on Monday, August 6 will receive a free Milos Raonic Bobblehead, compliments of Aviva. Tickets start at $40, including all taxes and fees PLUS a slice of Pizzaville Pizza and a bottle of Nestle Water.